Bishop Philip’s “Six Holy Habits”
The bishop recommends to us all to develop the following six practices, to deepen our faith.
- First, to keep Sunday special, as a family day, by attending Mass, the ‘source and summit’ of the Christian life, supporting your parish community.
- Second, to resolve to spend at least five minutes a day in prayer, at whatever time you find best, using the Scriptures, maybe the Gospel of the day.
- Third, to keep Friday as a day of penance in honour of the Lord’s Passion, intentionally serving the poor and needy.
- Fourth, at least once a fortnight, to pay a private visit to church for a short period of prayer before the Tabernacle.
- Fifth, to go to Confession once a month or so, like a spiritual check-up when you can personally experience God’s love and mercy.
- Sixth, to join a small group for formation, prayer and fellowship, where you can share with others your own experience and hear what God is doing in the lives of others.